PTWA / TJM Skills
This book demonstrates thrust joint manipulation techniques for patients with musculoskeletal dysfunction in the spine. It familiarizes clinicians and students alike with the concept of focusing to engage the barrier as it relates to patient comfort, providing clinical pearls along the way to enhance techniques. Specific components of manipulations that are discussed and demonstrated include:
- Proper clinician stance
- Proper use of core and larger muscles
- Speed, amplitude and palpation
- Patient position, direction of movement
- Fluid body movement and control
- The history of thrust joint manipulation as a practice
- Scientific studies that reveal support for, and against, thrust joint manipulation
- Clinical reasoning for when and why to use thrust joint techniques in the spine
- Clinical examination and physical tests that should be done prior to manipulation
- Drills to develop speed, proper use of the muscles, effective stance and palpation
- Includes access to videos demonstrating 45 techniques.
- Illustrated. Spiral-bound softcover; 224 pages.
About the authors
Emilio Puentedura, PT, DPT, PhD, OCS, GDMT, CSMT, FAAOMPTEmilio Puentedura has been involved in orthopedic manual therapy for over 37 years, working in outpatient settings with a focus on spinal conditions, lecturing and presenting seminars on the various approaches of manipulative therapy. After teaching for 10 years at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, he is now Clinical Professor at Baylor University's new DPT program.
William O’Grady, PT, DPT, OCS, FAPTA, FAAOMPT, DAAPMDr. O’Grady is a nationally recognized expert in the management of spinal disorders and has taught manipulative techniques for over 40 years. He has served as chair of the Board of Examiners for the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT), and as an instructor in advanced manipulation technique for the University of Southern California spine fellowship program as well as an adjunct professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Thrust Joint Manipulation Skills
Remember to sign in for your professional pricing